Friday, June 3, 2011

photography, spring semester sophomore year

Artist Statement of Kacey Harasimowicz
“Why We Work”
Being a college student, I am repeatedly faced with the question of what I plan to do with my life. What I wouldn’t give to answer with grand schemes of travel and glory and riches, but in all matter of reality, my future will be more average than I’d like. Yes, yes, one must have big dreams, because you can succeed in anything and everything for which you have passion. However, the real lesson of life lies in finding fulfillment in whatever you become, whether it be a famous war photojournalist or a high school civics teacher. This hypothesis was the one I researched and eventually accepted in my final project. I interviewed and photographed subjects in various careers, ranging from nurse to restaurant manager, and was able to find that common thread. There is purpose in any work. Why else would we do it every day if not for some sort of fulfillment? Sure, we clock in every morning in order to pay the bills, but we dedicate our lives to it because anyone anywhere can make a difference at any time. The end justifies the means, but the means have meaning, too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment